Friday, June 21, 2013

2011 Is Going to Be Quite a Year

So currently I am in Colorado doing physical therapy 2 times a day, 5 days a week; this is why I haven't been blogging as frequently. Needless to say, it has been rather busy. I'll get a present day one up in the next couple of weeks...

After finding out I had quadrilateral space syndrome in January, my parents and I knew 2011 was going to be a challenging year from a surgical standpoint. Just imagine looking forward knowing at least 2 big surgeries were coming your way and both of them were out of state. That's a lot of healing time, a lot of physical therapy and then you add school to the mix. Since the major expense to go see this doctor  in CA was airfare and hotel accommodations, we decided to stay a few extra days for fun; back to my mom's philosophy of trying to offset the negative things in life with a positive. Some of the things we did were going on a tour of Alcatraz Island, touring Winchester House, going to Pier 39 to see the sea lions, and we saw the Golden Gate Bridge. One of the best things about California is driving Highway 1 and stopping at a lot of various points of interest along the ocean.

 Alcatraz Island


One of the sea lions on the pier 

If you've been following my blog then you know things don't always go according to plan and mishaps tend to happen. While driving Highway 1 we stopped at a point of interest along the ocean. At this particular site, you had to walk down a path to get down to the beach and ocean. As I was walking downhill, my foot slipped. I grabbed the railing with my left hand and felt my shoulder and shoulder blade stretch in ways it shouldn't have. My shoulder blade is what hurt the most since 6 months prior I had the scapular muscle reattachment surgery. Even though I hurt pretty bad, I didn't think anything too serious happened. I finished walking down the path with my dad and the view was spectacular.


At the bottom of the path leading to the beach and ocean 


 
We saw lots of birds that would soar above the ocean's waves

Later that evening one of my biggest fears happened...throwing-up. In the middle of the night while my parents were sound asleep, I woke up sick and nauseous. I don't know if it was the pizza that we all ate or the red apple (just like Snow White) that only I ate. Regardless of what caused it, I lost track of how many times I threw-up. The pain was ridiculous. We all know how much it sucks to throw-up over and over. Every muscle in your torso goes crazy. In my case, it is holy hell. I still had muscles detached on my right shoulder blade and my left shoulder blade recently had surgery (yes, the same side that I overstretched earlier that day). My most vivid memory of that night was laying on the bathroom floor watching a single rambling ant that had somehow made its way in. I woke my parents up and they brought me to the emergency room so they could give me something to stop throwing-up, but most importantly, give me something for the awful shoulder blade pain. You know, life just wouldn't be complete if we didn't see an emergency room in CA. We've been to the ones in Illinois, Kentucky, and Nevada so we may as well add California to the mix. Maybe I should start writing a traveling guide to the best emergency rooms.

At the emergency room the first reality of concern hit. Between slipping on the path and vomiting all night, my poor little shoulder blades were not strong enough to withstand that type of force. The doctor told me both my shoulder blades were winging out really bad and I may have possibly retore the muscles that were repaired on my left shoulder blade. Now you know why throwing-up was one of my biggest fears.

When we got home from CA school started up once again. I met with Dr. K and Dr. B. Neither one had a definitive answer as to whether or not any damage occurred to my left shoulder/shoulder blade from the overstretching and from throwing-up. Only time would tell. In the meantime, I was preparing to have my right shoulder joint stabilized and to have the scapular muscle reattachment surgery which was set for March 2, 2011 in Kentucky. Up until recently, this specific surgery took the top honor of most painful. There was the large shoulder blade incision and then there was the large incision on the front of my right shoulder joint. I opted to have two big procedures done at one time so I could have the quadrilateral space decompression surgery done sooner.

My first memory of waking up from this surgery in recovery was having a battle-ax nurse calling me by the wrong name. There was another patient in the next bed. The nurse kept yelling at one of us to breathe but was calling us by the wrong name. Neither one of us knew who she was talking to which made things very confusing. She was a mean nurse. I kept trying to tell her my name was Megan and she didn't want to hear it. Her solution was to shoot me up with versed (amnesia medication). I was so mad.

I unfortunately have don't have any pictures of this particular surgery or bracing; however, they are just like the other procedures. We spent a week in the hotel for me to heal some before the 8 hour drive back to Illinois. Once home, it was back to the school routine and trying to heal from this double procedure. It was very, very hard. I know now, 2011 brought 5 shoulder surgeries. It was a good thing I didn't know that when I headed into the year 2011 because it would have been very overwhelming. It was better to just take things one thing at a time and get through the current situation. It doesn't do anybody any good to fret and worry about what's coming in the future. There was truly enough in the present to worry about.

A fundraising page was created to help with medical expenses. If you would like to donate follow the link below. Thank you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment